Sunday, June 8, 2014

Chapter 2: In Which I Muse over the Greatness of Literature, Pay Harold Bloom a Compliment, and Wonder if I’m Lonely

First time visiting? Start with the Prologue, then follow the Chapters in the Archive list on the right sidebar, going from the oldest to the newest. 
 
Debates over what makes “great” literature are as predictable as ants drawn to a sugar cube, attracting pundits, reviewers, critics, and a ton of I’ve-read-a-lot-of-books people to the sweet yet empty calories of armchair literary criticism. To see what I mean, (and for a bit of fun) just head on over to Yahoo! Answers and find the thread on “What makes great literature?” where a young avatar is looking for help in writing a “5 page paper on the topic.” The thread includes some interesting observations (I like, in particular, the notion that the consensus of the professorial elite has much to do with what is and isn’t considered great), but quickly devolves into pithy responses like this one: “I like to read certain books because they make me angry or sad or feel cheated with shitty writing…. That being said, I read mostly cookbooks and watch South Park almost daily.”
Interestingly, the professorial elite fare only slightly better (though with dramatically improved grammar). James Averill of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, says that “I do not pretend to have an answer to this question” of what makes literature great, but then goes on to write that “great literature appeals to the emotions.” (So I guess he does have an answer!) That response isn’t all that different from the one given by our cookbook reader, even if it does win on style points.
David Foster Wallace, late and great, put it more simply: “Fiction’s about what it is to be a fucking human being.”  I like that. Simpler and to the point.
Meanwhile, at the other end of the mannered spectrum, Harold Bloom, the well-respected if rather stuffy literary critic, will tell you that “[w]hat matters in literature in the end is surely the idiosyncratic, the individual, the flavor or the color of a particular human suffering,” a roundabout way, as I read it, of saying that pain is perhaps the key component of truly great literature. 
*****
There are many types of pain, some incredibly subtle.
Last weekend my wife capitalized on a spur-of-the-moment invitation and traveled down to New Jersey for a mini-family reunion of sorts, hosted by her son (my stepson). Due to various factors (including a rapidly aging pet we prefer not to kennel) we couldn’t both attend, so I stayed behind. I’m not unused to such solitude; my wife travels five or six times a year for periods that range from a few days to sometimes two weeks and I, being an introvert (or “hermit,” as she styles it) quite look forward to the time alone. This time, though, felt different.
There wasn’t much I had to “do” (in the “Honey-do” sense). The lawn had just been mowed (she does that) and the kitchen recently cleaned (me). I needed to pick up a couple of cans of dog food, and there was load of laundry basketed and waiting, but other than that I was on my own and, with a pile of praised Pulitzers before me, seemed all set to enjoy a wonderful couple of days. Nestled in family-room leather, I settled in.
Great books do have the flavor, the color of human suffering, Harold. You’re right.
I hit four books this week; all of them were wonderful, and all of them held an overpowering sense of loneliness. They spread across nearly three-quarters of a century, varied in style, plot, and theme, yet each weighed on me so deeply that, at times, I wasn’t sure I even wanted to move. The fates of the characters in Thornton Wilder’s The Bridge of San Luis Rey left me feeling like I wanted to reach through the pages and provide solace, warmth, and caring, to give each of them a kind word, a sense that fate was not merely fate, but that their lives had purpose, gave meaning to others. The simple tour driver in Jhumpa Lahiri’s “The Interpreter of Maladies,” seemed pathetically lonely and sad; as I ended the story I felt a heaviness in my legs and arms that I hadn’t noticed before. And Scarlet Sister Mary, ultimately broken down by herself and her community, broke me down as well; tears muddied my view of the last few pages.
I wanted to share this feeling, this experience, with my wife, but she was in New Jersey, and for the first time in a long while I was less bewitched by solitude. Instead, I was lonely.
I read somewhere that the true definition of a successful marriage is when two people can be alone together. The occasional smile passes between them, along with a quickly shared story. Beneath it all is a wondrous love built on appreciation and flaws, on hands held and words exchanged, on glances and touches and quiet and noise and children and parents and time. And time. These books had made me feel that I wanted to be alone together, and not alone alone. I wanted the weekend to be over. Literature and absence combined into an isolating womb. I missed her, and was glad when the dogs’ barking signaled her car coming up the driveway, coming home.
*****
Right about now I’m wishing to read one of the funny books on this list. Unfortunately they don’t come with indicative titles. Is Tinkers funny? Or A Summons to Memphis? I can’t be sure. I do know to stay away from The Edge of Sadness or The Old Man and the Sea. Or anything by Faulkner. If I hadn’t already read it, I’d probably go right for A Confederacy of Dunces; that title seems somewhat amusing. And it is funny. It really is. Only Ignatius J. Reilly really is quite lonely, after all. 
Read since last post:
·         The Optimist’s Daughter, Eudora Welty (1973)
·         The Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri (2000)
·         Scarlet Sister Mary, Julia Peterkin (1929)
·         The Bridge of San Luis Rey, Thornton Wilder (1928)
Currently Reading, Despite Wanting to Read Something Funny:
·         The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway (1953)
Just Realized I Hadn’t Read, but Only Saw the Movie:
·         The Color Purple, Alice Walker (1983)
Currently Causing Hallucinations:
·         Honey in the Horn, H. L. Davis (1936)
COUNT: 17 read, 71 to go
 

No comments:

Post a Comment