Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chapter 5: In Which I Wonder what all Those Words Mean and Find Myself Mulling the Personally Universal


First time visiting? Start with the Prologue, then follow the Chapters in the Archive list on the right sidebar, going from the oldest to the newest.

I think I’ve just read a book, but I can’t be sure. I know I read all the words, and in the right order, but I couldn’t tell you what the book was actually about.
It wasn’t because of the vocabulary, though a few words sent me scrambling for the OED, a tome of miniscule type that still beats Google every time. (I looked up defalcate, for example, which as it turns out has nothing to do with bodily functions.) And it wasn’t because the plot was overly convoluted; it’s not like there were seven kingdoms and an iron throne, after all, or a mobius of characters invented by Keyser Söze. And nothing at all was timey-wimey.
If you've never had this feeling before, then permit me this analogy: Have you ever found yourself behind the wheel of a car having suddenly wondered where you were for the last fifteen minutes or so? You know you’ve been driving, but all you know for sure is that you have a subtle but unimpeachable sense of something passing you by.
That’s how I felt after turning the last pages of Faulkner’s A Fable.
Faulkner is a tough read, certainly, but not James-Joyce tough; he doesn’t just string letters together and pretend they’re words and, while some passages are riveted with run-ons and semicolons, there’s nothing like, say, the “Penelope” section that closes Ulysses. It also wasn’t my first foray into Faulknerian territory; I had read, though many years earlier, As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury, Light in August, and Absalom, Absalom, all of which, if memory serves, I understood.

Admittedly I began handicapped. My copy wore no jacket, and therefore no inside flap’s brief summary. Nor was there an erudite introduction scribed by some English professor fighting for tenure at a mid-list Iowa university. None of that bothered me much, though. I knew a Faulkner novel required easing into.
After about twenty pages I re-checked the book see if I’d missed something, a blurb on the frontispiece perhaps, or a brief afterword—anything that might give me some hint at a plot. Other than knowing the book was set in France during World War II, I had nothing.
I cheated, heading to Wikipedia (the twenty-first century version of Cliffs Notes) and read the brief description: The book takes place in France during World War I and stretches through the course of one week, it began. Ah… so I didn’t even have the right World War. And there were only two to choose from. Not an auspicious beginning.  I continued reading:
It tells the stories of "Corporal Stefan", who is representative of Jesus. The Corporal orders 3,000 troops to disobey orders to attack in the brutally repetitive trench warfare. In return, the Germans do not attack, and the war is simply stopped when the soldiers realize that it takes two sides to fight a war. The Generalissimo has the corporal arrested and executed; he is representative of leaders who use war solely to make themselves stronger (he invites the German general over to discuss how to start the war again). Before he has him shot, the Generalissimo tries to convince the Corporal that war can never be stopped because it is the essence of humanity.
Not the cleanest summary. In fact, it feels like this particular Wikipedian had some trouble with the book, too.
At least I now had some idea about what was going on and, given the book’s title, I could at least watch for any relevant metaphors. Several soon emerged: Corporal Stefan had a team of twelve, one of whom is later paid thirty coins for information; Stefan also seems to have some relationship with an ex-prostitute named Mary who just happens to hang out with a woman named Marthe.
But what do I do with the seventy-odd pages used to describe the world’s fastest three-legged horse as it parades around the southern United States? Or the corpse-hunting widow who can’t decide whether to eat her only piece of bread or wield it uselessly as a weapon?
At this point I was hoping for any kind of…wait for it…epiphany. Something to open the skies, light the burning bush afire, part the seas. Instead I’m left with a gnawing concern, the strangest feeling that a part of my mind has peeled away like sunburnt skin. I wonder if it’s me, after all, that’s the problem, that if, somehow, having entered the tail end of my fifties, I no longer have the ability to comprehend a novel so dense. I imagine that if I’d read A Fable back when I’d read those other Faulkner novels I would have had a much easier time of it, might have experienced the sudden flash of understanding and awareness that all difficult but wonderfully written books give. It never came, though, not this time, and thinking that years ago it might have, gives me the eeriest feeling, one of those small quivers that often generate larger quakes.
We all know that as we get older some faculties necessarily fade. My eyes struggle both near and far now, and my ears, battered by years of heavy metal and progressive rock, aren’t what they used to be. It takes me longer to do a crossword puzzle than it used to, and the witty riposte is too often now slightly out of reach. And as I age, so do those around me, and what seems self-evident surprisingly strikes: a father, an uncle, a friend from high school, each a little grayer, each one step slower. You notice first the additional wrinkles, then the occasional misspeak or a need to repeat what is no longer clearly heard. Then you look into your own mirror in the morning and wonder at the gap between the face before you and the ageless adolescent internally (and eternally) embraced. But the mirror is accurate and the memory is only that; you realize that the greying and the slower step describe you, too. The person inside you wants only to take the many, many steps remaining, and more, but you, the real you, aren’t just taking steps, but counting them, an unwelcome admission that there are only so many left.
Books are meant to make us think, but when I picked up this one I never expected to mull my own fading senses.  What my difficulty with A Fable has surfaced in me is a sense of mortality and of time—Time and how much of it remains. Time and how best to enjoy it. Time and the one-way stream of it in which we live. I find myself clawing at the embankments of memory now, wondering what happened to people I almost knew decades ago, people I’ve imagined into importance; or trying to recall the poems and lyrics that moved me once; or what it felt like to enjoy mowing the lawn.  Wondering when I’ll trade Faulkner for obituaries. I spend more time holding hands with my wife these days. More time petting my remaining dog. More time attempting to understand, hoping that, like any good fable, the moral waiting at the end makes it all worthwhile.                                                       

Read since last post:

·         A Fable, William Faulkner (1955)

·         Death in the Family, James Agee (1958)

·         Tales of the South Pacific, James Michener (1948)


Currently Reading:

·         The Color Purple, Alice Walker (1983)

·         The Stories of John Cheever, John Cheever (1979)

·         Honey in the Horn, H. L. Davis (1936)

COUNT: 23 read, 64 to go

No comments:

Post a Comment